Friday, February 7, 2020

Debate Vis & Attending the Date!

Road to the White House: Day 5
Friday, February 7, 2020
Merrimack/Manchester/Concord, NH
The Day of the New Hampshire Democratic Primary Presidential Debate


OMG. What a day.

We made our way out to Manchester to early this morning to make sure everything was ready to go for debate visibility and to make some phone calls/send out Hustles for upcoming events with Amy around the state. It was a gloomy, cold day and we were unsure of how to feel knowing we would be doing debate vis later! The thing getting us through it was knowing we would leave when the doors opened so we could get as good of a seat as possible for the debate. 





We had some time to grab coffee and a sandwich from The Bookery. They had this cute display of books that made me feel inspired and motivated for the rest of the day! So cute!



A guy who was in town from Iowa working for the campaign gave us a ride to St. Anselm where everyone was standing outside representing their candidate. The mood was tense but also full of excitement. Rain turned to sleet and eventually it was literally snowing outside! Standing there, in the snow, holding up Amy signs, I had a moment of woah... This is seriously a once in a lifetime experience. Debate vis in the snow! 



A few hours later, Jazzy and I made our way across St. A's to make it to the hockey arena on campus (!!!) where the debate was! It was soooo beautiful and picturesque. I could absolutely see myself somewhere up north one day (given I have proper clothing/books and not my fake Floridian winter clothes).





We made our way into the coat check arena (first time ever being in a coat check), finally gained some feeling back in our toes, and finally made it inside! Walking in and seeing the stage... It all felt so real so suddenly. Jazzy and I were speechless as we figured out we could sit anywhere in the section ON THE FLOOR just a few feet away from the stage and moderators and sitting amongst some of the most important people in New Hampshire and the campaigns. We got to FaceTime Dr. JSM to show her where we were sitting and anxiously waited for the candidates to come out!



We were so close to the stage!


Seeing how they transformed St. A's hockey arena into what we would normally see on tv brought tears to my eyes.



The moderators come out and say hello! OMG! David Muir, Linsey Davis, and George Stephanopoulos!!!





The candidates take their place! We were so close and I was absolutely speechless being in the same room as Vice President Joe Biden, Senator Warren, Senator Klobuchar and all of the other candidates. What an incredible moment. I felt it was so important to soak it all in as this may the only time I experience something like this.



Ahh!!! It's really happening! I think I was holding my breath at this point.


Asking questions even closer to us!





We went down to the stage at the end of the debate where we saw Biden and Yang taking selfies with other attendees and taking some time to mingle with supporters before getting off the stage. I was so sad to be leaving!



An absolutely once in a lifetime experience and an incredible night for Amy, who really made a statement on the debate stage tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing how her debate performance impacts the primary on Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment