Sunday, February 2, 2020

See you soon, New Hampshire!

Road to the White House: Day 1
Sunday, February 2, 2020
Tampa International Airport


Today is finally the day! We're at the airport waiting for our flight to Boston and to officially start our 10 days in New Hampshire. The start of the semester has been an absolute whirlwind, and we got here so quickly. It feels kind of crazy to be leaving three weeks into my last semester at USFSP, but watching the news every day reminds me of why I signed up for this in the first place.

I truly believe that for at least our generation, this is without a doubt the most important election of our lifetime. For me, it's not so much about which Democrat wins this primary... though I'm not ignorant to the fact that it very much matters who the nominee is. But for me, I think this presidential election is about beating Trump. The Senate would not do their due diligence in the impeachment trial of Donald Trump, and so the American people must do what we need to do: vote in crazy numbers in favor of ANYONE BUT TRUMP. 

For these reasons, it was hard for me to decide which campaign I wanted to work for when getting ready for Road to the White House. I decided that I wanted a different campaign experience from those who were working at campaigns that (probably) had the best chance of winning the nomination: Biden, Sanders and Warren. For that reason, I am working for Amy Klobuchar's campaign for the presidency. She is also one of two women in the race, which is a good enough reason for me. I think that this will be a unique experience and allow me to really get my hands dirty while networking and making connections that may help me in the future. 

So, I'm not really sure what to expect out of these 10 days. Through the first three weeks of class, we've written three essays, given one presentation in class, have been invited to various events on campus (including the Campus Board meeting), and have had two Skype calls with those who are key players in both the Iowa Caucus and Democratic presidential campaigns. It's been a whirlwind of a start to the semester...

By the time I'm done writing this, we'll have landed in Boston. I can't wait to see what will come out of these 10 days. See you then!
Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment